Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I love Josh...


I really, really do. He's been an exceptional husband, and father. He has also been my best friend, carrying my burdens as though they are his.

For the last 8 years though, I've been raising him, as I have been the other boys. Josh came to me totally unprepared for life, almost defenseless.

My case and point:

Recently, Josh has committed to eating better. He leaves for work at about 6:30 am. He would often leave without breakfast or lunch. He flutters around panic stricken in the mornings, just trying to get out the door. He is unable to think ahead to plan for his meals. I started being really diligent about packing a breakfast and lunch for him at night, to take with him in the morning.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal, apples

Lunch:

whatever leftovers from the night before or
2 peanut butter/honey sandwiches and sun chips, a banana

This past Sunday evening, I totally spaced out about packing his food. Monday morning when I heard him leave, I immediately thought, "oh no, I didn't make his lunch."

You may think,
"well, he probably just made something himself, he'll be fine."

Maybe anyone else would be fine, but not sweet, helpless, Josh. I worried all day about how he would get through the day.

When he got home, I said "What did you do for lunch?". He said "oh I went with some of the guys to a Mexican place". I was impressed, and relieved. My husband had taken care of lunch all by himself, and made a relatively healthy choice. Just when I felt I had probably taught Josh how to take care of himself to some degree, my pride in him comes crashing down...

"What about breakfast?"

He says, as if its the most normal thing in the world:

"Oh, I found a packet of mustard in my desk, I had that"

Do you see what happens to Josh when I'm not there to take care of him? He's reduced to eating random mustard packets for breakfast. He went on the say how at least mustard is a low calorie, low fat food.

Bless his heart.

16 comments:

Janet said...

are you serious? mustard? please tell me and my queasy stomach that you were totally kidding.

You are such a good wife. I never make breakfast or pack a lunch for Ben. I'm not going to let him read this, then he'll never know that there is an actual person that does things like that.

Amy said...

You are a awesome wife! I totally laughed out loud, and then had to read this to Chad. I also have a hubs that leaves at 6:30 (as do I) and we pack breakfast and lunch and often his dinner depending on games and there are days I wish I could throw a couple of packets of mustard to cover a meal!

Heidi said...

So funny! I do pack a lunch for Jer, but he likes to "Forget" it so he can go out. "But all the other guys at work get to go out..." Next time I'll threaten him with mustard.

Robyn said...

That is disgusting! I don't think I could ever stomach that. You are a good wife to go to pack his meals. Maybe you should send him with some legitimate foods to keep in his drawer at work in case you forget again :)

Adhis said...

Man, I came to ketchup on your blog to see what kind of a pickle you had gotten into lately, and I find this. Hm.

I guess that's all Josh can mustard up for himself.

Utah_Dave said...

Hey Josh,

Try mixing a little Del Taco Del Scorcho hot salsa in with your mustard packet. That's what I do to add some vegetables and vitamins to my breakfast!

Cameron and Katie said...

I do not pack Cameron's lunch. But, I always try and make sure there are leftovers from dinner in tupperware for him to take. When the singles guys he goes to school with found out I don't pack his lunch, they were like, "but, she doesn't work, what does she do all day if she isn't packing your lunch?" Cameron actually tried to use their logic to get me to put the leftovers into his lunch box for him. Nice try.

Jackie said...

Katie,

I hope you have banned Cameron from associating with such evil, deranged, clearly ignorant people.

Kat said...

I have a bunch of ketchup packets in my pantry that he is welcome to use. :) LOL
You are awesome. He is really lucky to have you to take care of him. Way to go!

mostly Stacy said...

Hahahahah hahaaahaahaa!!
Maybe you should ass that to the side column of what silly things your boys say.

islandgirl said...

LOL, that was hilarious, can't imagine eating mustard alone.....you're a good wife to help him out with his lunches!!!

Marcella said...

I don't believe it! This is a joke! It has to be!!!

Jackie said...

Mar,

seriously. It's no joke.

Sarah said...

That is the funniest thing I've read in weeks.

canvassingSLCMTA said...

exactly what I would have done.

Monica Proulx said...

Jackie, you are a comic genius, this is your best post yet! Even the comments are funny! Nods go out to Adhis, (a punny woman) Utah_Dave (hilarious comment Dave, I approve of you hanging out with my son to teach him some wilderness survival skills) and Mostly Stacey (leave this one just the way it is Jackie).

I'd like to suggest that Josh and Dave are actually more informed and enlightened that most of us and know their presidential history, ie the "ketchup as a vegetable" debacle given to us by old 40 (RR). Atta boy Josh!
Read about that here: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2517/did-the-reagan-era-usda-really-classify-ketchup-as-a-vegetable