Well I asked Jordan if O'Bonga was his friend and he replied "Yes, he sings at church." So I began to wonder if he really knew who he was talking about. I pulled up www.barackobama.com and showed him a picture of the candidate. Jordan said "That's Bock O'Bonga!" and insisted that we watch the "TV" on the site.
While watching the ad Jordan said "I think they're going to build a mountain on the highway." I guess that's what politicians do sometimes. It was nice to watch a positive ad for a change. It's certainly starting to turn negative! At least McCain has been defending Obama against some of his most vocal supporters at his events. McCain had to take a microphone away from a 75 year-old lady in Minnesota, Gayle Quinnell, who started to say she didn't trust Obama because he is an Arab. McCain replied "No ma'am he is a decent family man , citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues." Afterwards she told reporters "I don’t trust Barack Obama because he’s an Arab. He’s a Muslim. I’m afraid if he ever got to be president what would happen to this country." That's pretty sad on many levels. First she doesn't understand the difference between a faith (Muslim) and an ethnic group (Arab). No wonder some people don't understand the Middle East! Secondly Obama is Christian. It's amazing how many people look at Obama as a Manchurian Candidate.
So what about this economy? My preference for keeping up with the Senate and House hearings has been CSPAN. If it's during the day I usually stream CSPAN Radio at work from www.cspan.org It's nice to listen to what the politicians are actually saying rather than a quick sound bite later on the news. And if I want some analysis the BBC is great for a world perspective. It's a shame how little our news networks actually report on what's going on outside of our country. I love the BBC World Service radio found here. It certainly brings me back to my mission in England. But as for actually understanding what's happened with the mortgage crisis, the credit default swap industry, and short selling I haven't found anything better than some of the This American Life and Planet Money podcasts on public radio.
There's three really great episodes I'd like to recommend. Not only are they extremely informative but they're also very entertaining! The first TAL episode #355 The Giant Pool of Money explains how the mortgage industry started giving out bad loans which in turn coupled with low interest rates from 2001 helped drive up house prices. They interview some of the mortgage guys living the high life earning $75k-100k a month. Most never had no background in mortgages; one used to be a bartender! The next episode they did on the economy #365 Another Frightening Show about the Economy explains what a credit default swap is, why we should be concerned about it, and what were they thinking (hint: they made a lot of money off of them). As for the blame it's bipartisan. No single party got us in this mess and they both need to work to get us out. I think it's interesting how something that should have stayed as insurance and been regulated basically turned into deregulated gambling. It also highlights why we need a line-item veto! The same guys did a Planet Money podcast that explains short selling and naked short selling. Now I understand why McCain called for the SEC chairman's resignation.
Now if we could only have a pro-life Obama to vote for or a McCain with Obama's policy ideas on healthcare and the economy... How long do I need to keep wishing?
4 comments:
ok, first of all, you can't move! It's taken me years to find a friend like you.
Secondly, I bow to your cookie making skills!!! They were SO good. I loved them. I let the kids have some too. But I hid the rest for me. :) Lets go get gelato this week. Just tell me a day!
I really like those episodes. I just listened to the one called Go Big, very good. Changes your perspective on the issue of poverty. I dunno if I told you, but this is basically how I survived the summer, listening to up to 6 hours of TAL at work. I made it through about a year and a half.
Jordan is getting to be so funny. I used to think Jadon was the family comedian [second only to his Mom:), you are still the most hilarious Proulx, Jackie]. Nice post Josh. One day I will listen to those shows, now that I have an i-pod! Thanks
What on earth are you guys teaching little Jordan?
Post a Comment