
It was Thursday evening. That week seemed like 50 years. Kids, dinner, laundry, kids, kids, kids. Josh got home from work and I announced:
"I'm going to a hotel overnight tomorrow."
He looked stunned, and somewhat frightened. This of course would mean he would be here, alone with all of the kids. He stumbled over his words , but managed to say, " Uh, OK, ya know, I was thinking about having you do something like this anyway."
Yeah RIGHT.
I called Janet to see if she wanted to go with me. The following conversation is ver batum, (believe it or not).
Ring, ring, ring...
Janet: Hello
Me: Hey, what are you doing?
Janet: Oh, my brother and I are sitting here talking about the outhouse my mom and dad are building in their yard.
(Pause for roaring, hysterical laughter)
Me: Are you serious?
Janet: Yeah.
Me: Well, don't take this the wrong way, but do you want to go overnight to a hotel with me tomorrow night?
(More laughter)
Janet: Seriously? Let me ask Ben.
Janet to Ben: Can I go to a hotel tomorrow night with Jackie?
Ben: What? Seriously? Where? When? I guess so.
Janet: Yeah, sure. Awesome.
Me: Awesome. You figure out what kind of ice cream you want, I'll book the room.
We stayed down the street at the Springhill Suites. We had a tiny fridge in our room and everything.

It was just overnight, but it was fun. We went to Applebees for dinner, and we're pretty sure our waitress made off with our credit card numbers. We also went to see Dear John. It was good, but the ending was too ambiguous for me.
After that we laughed the night away and injected each other with botox, we also painted each others toenails, and had a pillow fight.
Thanks for a fun getaway, Janet.
4 comments:
What a great idea! I need one of those!
I've done the overnight thing before, and Dave had reason to be scared. Unlike you, I didn't think to take a date!
Sometimes, a woman can only take so much and she has to get away, even if it's just down the street.
Thanks for reminding me of this option!
Really, there are no words.
Thanks for outing my white trashyness.
I had a blast. You're the bestest friend in the universe.
I sort of really love you, don't take this the wrong way but, can I go to a hotel with you next time? We can braid each others hair
Post a Comment