
Josh's youngest brother left for his mission in Brazil today. It seems like yesterday that he was 11 years old, and grieving deeply that I had taken his eldest brother from him.
Benny is an excellent little fella. He will make an outstanding missionary because I've never met anyone as unselfish as him. It will be no stretch for him to have to put his own interests aside for 24 months and think of others first. I am grateful that my sons have him to look up to. They don't really remember the other uncles missions, but they will understand and remember this one.
I gave Benny my favorite book, the Autobiography of Parley Pratt. I read that 2 months before I came home from my mission. I remember feeling like I was satisfied with my work ethic while in Missouri, and that I had given all of my effort to the work. After I read that book, I couldn't believe what earlier missionaries went through. I quickly realized, my efforts paled in comparison to our early Church leaders.
Not a day goes by that I don't think about how lucky I am to be a member of the Church, and I thank Heavenly Father for that daily. No doubt that soon enough Benny will play a part in people in Brazil feeling the same way. I realized too, that Joshie will be the next missionary to go out from our family.

Anyway, good luck Benny, we love you. Your example is felt far and near.
3 comments:
A wonderful post. Shows your good heartedness and kindness. I wish Ben the best of luck in Brazil.
I remember when my brother left, I think I cried for like 3 months... anyhoo...
I can't even think about Joshie being old enough to go on a mission, EVER.
Post a Comment