Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Advancing the War on Aging


You know, I'm really trying to look like I am aging gracefully. However, there is nothing "graceful" about it. This is the true "War on Terror".

Allow me to introduce you to my army:

$30 cream for my wrinkles: (this one is on the front lines.)





The services of a hair therapist to cover my grays: (this is kind of the national guard of my line of defense, I don't need this as often as the other guys, but nevertheless, this is an invaluable asset.)




The Turkey Neck Eliminator: (this is like a sergeant, without this, the other guys don't do as well. )




My bags-under-the-eye caffeine cream: (this is The General, the leader of the army. The glue that keeps the forces together.)




I thought I was really defeating Mother Nature until I went out with my friend last week. We were checking out at the register when I had to run out to the car to get my ID. In an attempt to kill time with a little joke my friend, Janet, said:

"She's pretty forgetful sometimes."

Cashier: "My mom is too."

Then the other day, I went to the grocery store. Again, the cashier, was wearing a pin on her shirt that said "Under 40? We ask for ID"

Confused, I said :

"What do you have to be 40 to buy?"

The cashier said, "Oh, if a person isn't clearly WAY OVER 21, and they are buying alcohol or cigarettes, we'll ask for ID"

I said " Oh, I get it, if they look a day under 40, you card them, to avoid any mistakes."

The cashier said, " Yeah, Like you are clearly old enough, I would never ask you for ID."

I said " Because I look 40?!"

"Uhhhhh, no........here's your receipt, have a nice day."

I have noticed the cashier pattern here. So in the future, I'll be shoplifting to avoid any further insults.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with being 40, if you are 40.

14 comments:

Janet said...

I seriously love your blog.

Do you really have that turkey neck thing? we saw that on tv the other night

...because if you have it I'll get you something different for christmas :)

Just kidding, you know I love ya.

Adhis said...

I can't believe you wrote this post. I wrote a post on skin creams JUST LAST NIGHT. Well, I can't post it now. That's like wearing the same dress to a party.

Monica Proulx said...

What I wouldn't give to be 40 again, or even 45! Yep, 40 looks different to some of us, depending on which side of it you are looking at it from.

Jackie said...

Adhis!! I was totally going to do a President Obama post too. We're even.

Matt said...

You waging a war against the ravages of time is like the French waging a war with, well, anyone. But seriously, I bet you have a good 2 or 3 years before waitresses start handing you the senior menu at Denny's or you drive 35 on I-15 with your turn signal on the entire way.

Amy said...

Honestly, you're not old! But I want to know if you really use any of those products??

Jackie said...

Amy,

every last one of them. Seriously.

Kat said...

Jackie, your blog makes me laugh so much. I love you and your humor. :) Bill and I saw the turkey neck thing on tv the other night. I brought it up at Young Womens and they taught me an exercise to do where you don't have to use the contraption. I'll have to show it to you tomorrow. Except it will have to be in private where we are immune for prying eyes. LOL :)

Lebanites said...

Oh Jackie, you crack me up! I just finished telling my mother the other day that I think you get more beautiful with age (and no not the aging that you are referencing). You are a knock out. Especially the pic you have at the top of the blog. Your blog is my weekly medicine of humor. I miss you! When are you guys moving back to PA! I was told I need to start convincing you!

mostly Stacy said...

I love it... every other post i think is your best one yet. You and your sparkley greys just put gas in my car. So thanks for that. national guard feels appropriate, I keep things going on the homefront.

Marcella said...

You look great Jackie! If I were a cashier I would TOTALLY ID you!

Cameron and Katie said...

The thing I appreciate about our friendship is that we communicate, you always make your demands clear. So here I am.
My favorite face thing right now is ROC multi correxion skin renewing serum. You have to pay a million dollars for a few drops, but I like the way it smells. Plus, I like zapzyt, and I am giving Kirtland's age-defying restorative night cream a trial run, we'll see how it goes.

The Ballard Family said...

Jackie- I am a fan of the blog! You are killing me with the turkey neck thing, the mustard for lunch, and Jaden telling your neighbor he hasn't eaten in days! Seriously?!?

Mariah said...

Whatever you're doing, you look fabulous. So, do you think drinking diet coke works the same as applying your caffeine cream? Just wondering if maybe I was on to a personalized solution.