
Like most housewives, when Oprah says something, I listen.
One Sunday evening I was watching a show called The Oprah Effect. It was a documentary about small businesses given exposure by Oprah. Without fail, as if being touched by Midas himself, these businesses started doing millions of dollars of business, literally overnight.

Business owners all over the country literally obsess about how to get Oprah to spare the slightest glance from her chariot, in their direction. There are classes about how to write a noticeable email to her, and of course, how to package your product when you send it free to her.
One business that got my attention was We Take The Cake. It was a one woman business. She started out making 75 cakes a week. Somehow a subordinate of Oprah tried the cake at some function. She was entranced by the key lime bundt cake. She told Oprah about it. Through a series of phone calls, a cake arrived at Oprah's desk. She loved it. It made it onto her most watched show of the year, Oprah's Favorite Things. She declared it "the best cake" she had ever had.
After that show, the owner of We take The Cake went from 75 cakes a week, to 10,000. No joke.
If its good enough for Oprah, its good enough for me.
I placed my order, and eagerly waited.
Josh told me the cost of the cake would have to come out of my meager allowance. The cake shipped in 2 days. I carefully documented the saga of the cake :
The arrival of the cake,
The cake down on the table:
The debut of the cake:
The drizzling of the cake with the key lime cream cheese icing:
(how fancy that it comes in a little cup so you can drizzle the cake yourself)
The fully drizzled cake, and me pausing to admire it:
Ready to be sliced:
We are about to eat the cake now:
Gone too soon:
I thoroughly enjoyed the cake. I had a couple slices I was going to take down to our friends, but I ate them. Better luck next time.
I will keep you posted on what Oprah commands me to do next. I'm getting on the elliptical machine now.
9 comments:
I am shocked.
Whenever I've read her "cheap" ideas for gifts in her magazine, I go through this process:
- Admire cute item.
- Read artfully-written description of cute item.
- Gag at big price of "cheap" cute item.
- Flip page.
- Turn back the page to see if I might justify price of cute item.
- Fail at justification.
- Flip page and keep reading magazine.
How much does an Oprah- endorsed cake go for?
the cake was $28!!! (plus $15 shipping)
I had to do it.
jackie, i can't believe you bought the cake!! (you can read into that statement as much or as little as you like)
You omitted a step. "Placing the cake around my neck like a dog collar and eating the entire thing in one sitting."
looks divine.... that Oprah! So true! Have you ever seen the 30 Rock episode about her? It's seriously the best.
I can't believe you HID the fact that you were going to have a delish cake at your house! Your suppose to be my best friend. We need to have a sit down meeting and discuss this. Preferably over ice cream.
Ok, I don't know who that Matt guy is, but I pee'd my pants laughing so hard at his comments. :) Darn you Jackie. You are evil. Lime is my downfall. I am going to have to try my cooking skills and try to make one that might compare without the price attached. LOL
Matt is my brother, Kat. He's family, we have to accept him the way he is.
I just watched a rerun of this Oprah effect show last night! We are like twins. I was totally thinking about ordering the cake, but since we are in school and I don't want our marriage to end up like John and Kate's, I opted not to do it. I am so glad that you did it for me! Next time, forward a slice on to me. Plus, I also need you to try the "Carol's Daughter" fragrances for me.
Post a Comment