Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Senator Obama and the Double Standard



I was watching Fox "News" last night, simply for comic relief. It was a big night in politics after all. Hillary won Indiana (narrowly), Obama North Carolina. Throughout this year I have noticed that whenever I've had a conversation with someone who dislikes Obama, they usually have the same old complaints. The first is usually his pastor. The second is that he doesn't say anything "substantive."

Don't get me wrong, I think his pastor is deranged. I just really see the pastor issue as an easy thing for people to cling to: "Obama must be crazy, because his pastor is crazy." I think debating about his pastor in itself, is non-substantive.

As far as being substantive versus rhetorical, he's a politician. All politicians know how to make purty sounding words come out of their mouths when they move it. I think Obama is inspirational. I think he makes people hopeful, in the midst of one of the most scandalous administrations in history. Whats wrong with that? I do also like the symbolism of having a black man as President. I guess it would also be symbolic to have a female President, or a President who is older than every single American combined X's 3.

Speaking of which, I have always liked John McCain. I love his maverick style. I totally respected him coming out and blatantly saying President Bush had been dishonest about the war, and how badly it was going. I respected that he denounced the ridiculous spending, and the number of Americans living in poverty. However I am disappointed that he has now said he would keep the Bush tax cuts that benefit big corporations, the same ones that keep the rich richer and the poor poorer. Not to mention, what's the deal with the 100 years in Iraq ? In all honestly, I still love John McCain. I had been hoping since 2000 that he would run again. He is a war hero, and so am I. After a full day with 4 boys, and after getting through dinner with the 3 boys and their dad having "contests" I have fought a long hard battle.

Anyway, back to Obama. I think saying he will change things is substantive. Should he say "I will not change anything, I am keeping everything the same. All is well." Shall we examine some substantive quotes by our present leaders?




Now there's substance! Wait, there's more...




Now here's some substance for ya. See the banner in the background?



I think Obama is victim of a double standard. How dare he give broad, hopeful, positive, maybe a little rhetorical promises? What sort of substance are we in search of? We don't want hope, or change. We prefer outright deception. I think many times when I have heard someone say "Where's the substance? What are his plans?" it's as if they're suggesting that those questions are bigger than the issues facing the country right now. Since when is hope, change and intelligence (gasp!) and being new to national politics a detriment? It was Condi herself that said "judgement is more important than experience."

Forgive my rantings, and the departure from my usual heartwarming and charming family stories. I realize this is scandalous, but in the words of our President...

"bring it on."

3 comments:

Gabe said...

I agree. If the difference between "rhetorical" politics and "substantive" politics is that Obama doesn't always support whims like a gas tax holiday... I'm fine with the latter.

Monica Proulx said...

Wow! You may be staying home all day with four little boys, but your brain hasn't turn to mush (like mine did). I wasn't able to think clearly about what was going on outside my front door for about 16 years after I started having kids. Took me that long to find my intellectual equilibrium. Your comments are eloquent, full of new insights, and are honest and non-partisan. It is refreshing and we need more of that kind of stuff in this world, people who are able to embrace the good from all sides of a problem or argument. Rarely is anything so cut and dried and good guys/bad guys as party politicians and candidates make it out to be. Usually everyone has a the ability to have a piece of the solution and we need to work together in this country. Both political parties should learn this. That is what I like about Obama, and about your approach as well. Keep on posting!

Cameron and Katie said...

I love hearing you talk about politics. I miss how we used to raise eyebrows talking about it around the sandbox...