Thursday, February 10, 2011

Emma Smith


I've been fascinated with Emma Smith since I joined the Church. Lately though, I've been trying to read up on her as much as I can. I go through different phases when it comes to whatever my fascination is.

A couple months go, I was all in to President David O McKay, so I read the book, The Rise of Modern Mormonism. Great book.
After that, it was the history of Blacks in the Church.
Then, it was Costco oatmeal raisin cookies.
Now, it's Emma.

I served my mission in Independence, Missouri. One of, if not the most important place in early Church History. Missouri was the place where the pioneers , including Joseph and Emma got to live the longest. One of the things I am most grateful for in my life, besides my cool black leather boots, is that I got to serve my mission there. It was awesome to be surrounded every single day by that kind of history.

At the Visitors Center, we had copies of letters that the Prophet and his wife wrote back and forth to each other. I thought it was kind of weird to be reading their love letters, but it does give you a pretty good idea of their relationship.





Joseph boarded with Emma's parents for a while in 1825, while he worked for a company that dug for gold. Her dad wasn't eager to see her marry Joseph because he didn't consider this job legit, so he opposed the marriage. They were really goo goo for each other though, and off they ran. They would be estranged from Emma's parents, the Hales, for a period of time. Soon after, the Restoration would be ushered in.....


I have always looked up to Emma because she was such a strong lady. She not only helped Joseph in his translation of the brass plates, she was the first Relief Society President. Relief Society is currently the largest woman's organization in the world. She endured what would be to many, an unbearable number of trials. Imagine being married to someone that so many people hated, and thought was basically out of his mind.

They were driven from several homes between 1830-1839 (New York, Ohio, Missouri, Quincy Illinois, I'm sure I've forgotten to mention a couple places), had them raided in the middle of the night, even burned down. The worst of all, was that seven out of their eleven children died before reaching adulthood.

I've always wondered if Emma ever hoped that Joseph would just stop with the whole restoring the true Church thing, and just settle down somewhere, and be low profile. She was long suffering to say the least.

In 1839, The Saints left (to put it mildly) Missouri, and eventually settled in Nauvoo.
From what I learned, Emma considered Nauvoo home, and was very happy there. There were many friendly non Mormons there who helped the Church members. The Saints were rather successful there, for a while....



In June 1844, the publication of the Nauvoo Expositor began by disaffected former church members. The press was destroyed by the town marshal on orders from the town council (of which Joseph was a member). That set into motion the events that ultimately led to Joseph's arrest and incarceration in the jail in Carthage. While he was there, a mob of about 200 armed men stormed Carthage Jail in the late afternoon of June 27, 1844. Gun shots killed both Joseph and his brother Hyrum.

After the Prophet was murdered in 1844 in Nauvoo, it appears, that was all she could take.

No matter if you believe that Joseph was really a prophet or not, he was a very likable person, and well loved; with the exception of the angry mobsters, of course.


Emma wanted William Marks, president of the church's central stake, to assume the church presidency, but Marks favored Sidney Rigdon for the role. After a meeting on August 6, a congregation of the church voted that the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles should become the new First Presidency of the Church. Brigham Young, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, then became de facto president of the church in Nauvoo.



Brigham Young was the opposite of Joseph Smith in many ways. He was often referred to as the 'Lion of the Lord.' He ruled with an iron fist, I guess you could say. It was necessary at the time. The early Church members loved Joseph Smith, and his death was demoralizing. A lot of people were ready to throw their hands up and give up. In rolls President Young saying that the Church would move west ward, after it being quite clear that they couldn't peacefully live in Nauvoo any longer. Many, including Emma, would not go. I don't blame her at all. Emma's refusal to go west was an insult to President Young though, and they parted not on the best of terms. Brigham was quoted many times saying unflattering things about Emma.

Nearly two years after the westward move, a close friend and non-Mormon, Major Lewis C. Bidamon, proposed marriage and became Emma's second husband on December 23, 1847. Interestingly, that would have been Joseph's 42 birthday. Happy Birthday Joseph.

Bidamon moved into the Mansion House and became stepfather to Emma's children. Emma and Bidamon attempted to operate a store and to continue using their large house as a hotel, but Nauvoo had too few residents and visitors to make either venture very profitable. Emma and her family remained rich in real estate but poor in cold hard cash.

Emma and her children continued to live as unaffiliated Latter Day Saints. She never officially left the LDS Church. Nor, did she receive baptism into the RLDS Church. I think Oliver Cowdry baptized her years before, and that remained in affect. The RLDS Church considered that baptism valid.

Many Latter Day Saints believed that her eldest son, Joseph Smith III, would one day be called to take his father's place. Knowing the dangers and hardships firsthand, Emma may have preferred a different path for her son. However, when he reported receiving a calling from God to take his father's place as head of a "New Organization" of the Latter Day Saint church, she supported his decision. On April 6, 1860, Joseph was sustained as president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, adding the word Reorganized to the name in 1872, and later became the Community of Christ.

The idea was that the office of Prophet could only go through the Smith bloodline. Several years ago, the RLDS Church ran out of male Smiths, so some random guy named Grant McMurray became the first non Smith President. I guess you guys were wrong, hmmm?

That reminds me, once at the Visitors Center, some wild lady came in yelling all of this anti stuff. Among other things, she was going off about the LDS Church being a false Church because of the Smith blood line thing. The next Prophet was meant to be Joseph III.

"Who's the President of your Church now?", I asked.
" Ehhh, Oh.." said crazy lady.
Zing.

It's not uncommon for Church members to say negative things about Emma. It's ridiculous if you ask me. Elder Coleman of the Seventy came to our mission. In a talk he addressed the attitude of certain members toward Emma. He quoted Elder Scott, as saying,
" You can not insult a man's wife, without insulting her husband too."

Bam.

We know that Emma's calling to be the Prophet's wife was divine, and that she as well assisted in Restoring the Gospel. See Doctrine and Covenants 25

I often shared that with members who would come in for a tour during their Church History tour. Most people came to Missouri, after being in Nauvoo where there are many RLDS members. They often came in saying negative things about her.

Joseph once said that he'd "go to Hell to be with Emma"
Brigham Young years later, said he'd have to go there to be with her.
I do not believe that that is true. If anyone earned her spot in the Celestial Kingdom, it was Emma.

Anyway, she has long been a hero of mine, right up there with Elizabeth Smart, and Tami Roman from Basketball Wives.

19 comments:

Janet said...

Very interesting. I didn't know you have leather boots.
I love reading about Emma Smith. She was a lot stronger than I could ever be. Oh and I love your use of Zings and Bams. Awesome.

Kat said...

I love hearing stuff about Emma Smith too. I am glad that you put all this together. :) Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post....as an outsider, it seems to be a religion where most of the perks are reserved for the men folk....

This is enlightening

Unknown said...

Anon -I guess it depends on what you mean by 'perks'.

Jackie -great post. She was an unbelievably strong lady. I have a lot of respect for her.

Old Matt said...

Outstanding! Well written and informative, as well as a bit amusing in places. You are quite talented!

candice said...

ONe of my favorite, most (emotionally) challenging books I have read is, Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith. I think you would really enjoy it. My respect was deep before I read it and only grew deeper. Emma is beyond doubt a very noble valiant woman.

Thanks for the tribute, I second your admiration.

Adhis said...

Excellent book report. You get a gold star.

megan said...

Emma has been on my mind lately too. She is so going to heaven. In fact, I think when I searched lds.org on her there were only nice things. I think they had a whole talk about her...maybe? Anyhow, I'm sure that quote from Brigham was just too irresistible... Joseph said, "I'd go to hell for that woman." and BY replied, "You may well have to!". Come on, that's some serious comedic timing!

Katy said...

Very interesting food for thought. Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight. It was worth waiting for. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's easy to judge, until we remember it's not our job, and thank heavens for that! If we received our final judgements from other people, I don't think there's a single one of us that wouldn't be worried! Awesome, Jackie. --CindyB

Leah said...

Thanks, Jackie. I too love Emma and am astonished by some member's negativity towards her. I remember once I talked about what a good person she was in the VC to a member visitor and he disagreed. He went to Nauvoo and then came back to the VC just to tell me I was wrong about Emma. I again told him how much I admired her but he obviously was pretty much stuck in his opinion. Poor guy. Thanks for being you, you crack me up. I guess it all goes back to the Partridge in a Pear tree thing.

Jackie said...

Leah, I remember that guy coming back to Missouri to tell you you were wrong!!! That is just twisted.

I laughed out loud at the "Partridge in a Pear tree thing"
Precious memories.

Roger and Stephnie said...

I loved reading that, it was like taking a trip down memory lane. I don't think that there are many people who can really understand what Emma went through. I'm grateful for the experiences that we got to have in MO to learn some of that! Thanks!

Mitch Mayne said...

I love the powerful women angle. I think one of the mistakes made both within and without the church is the misconception that a woman's role to somehow be less than or subservient to man's. Such is not the case. I personally think the need for powerful women is as strong--if not moreso--than for powerful men, especially today. Thanks for this post and the example of your strength!

David Portrey said...

I will definitely read this all later but I wanted to ask you if you have read the book Emma and Joseph? I'm about half through it and it is soooo good. It really helps you understand what Emma went through during those early days.

Jackie said...

Cubs, no not yet. It's on my list of books to get though.

David Portrey said...

I Definitely suggest it. You will LOVE it!

Holly said...

There is an amazing talk CD by Mary Jane Woodger (sp?) about Emma that I love. The way that I know she is not going to hell, is that toward her later years, she found out that her second husband had fathered a child with another woman, and that this young woman could not afford to raise him. Instead of leaving her husband, or totally going balisitic, she instead, offered to have the child and the young woman, I believe, come and live with them.
THAT is true compassion and Love. That is seriously saintly.

Jackie said...

Holy cow! It's official then, her spot in Heaven is secure.