
Saturday night was quite the night for Josh and I. We innocently enough went out for cheesecake , and left the kids with our friends. After eating our cheesecake, we decided to walk around the mall. We stopped at MAC make up to get my bucket of eye shadow. We were being helped by a young guy, who was wearing a very nice blouse, and eye make up that looked better than mine ever has. I asked him to help me make my eyes look like his.
Just then these 2 guys, who appeared to be early to mid 20's, were walking around dropping the F-bomb, and other slurs like crazy. They were loudly harassing my make up guy because he wore make up. It was the most hateful thing I have ever been witness too. Josh and I jumped into action. Both Josh and I have a special disdain for bullies. Josh turned and gave him a " You better shut up" look.
Then, things got ......... ghetto.
The guy said: " What are you looking at?!"
Before Josh could respond,
I said " Why don't you shut the he** up!"
Thug: "You better shut up b****".
Then Josh got right into his face and said :
"DO NOT speak to me wife like that"
The two of them stood there, nose to nose, snarling into each other faces.
I was really mad, I kept trying to get close to the guy, but Josh kept (ever so gently) pushing me back.
I got as close to him as I could (without getting tangled in his eye piercing) and
said :
"What are you going to do b**** ?! Do something!" (don't judge me friends)
He just kept cursing at us, Josh stood there snarling in his nostrils, and the guys friend pulled him away.
I said : "Ha ha! keep walking punk".
Josh and I couldn't stop laughing afterwords. We've never been in this situation before. The guy looked pretty surprised to hear such slurs coming from me. Little did he know, I attended high school in an inner city (yes, in Amish Country). I'm sure to him we looked like a typical Happy Valley couple he could push around ( I was wearing khakis and a navy blue cardigan, so I do understand )
Anyway, moral of the story: Please don't curse around us, because it makes me curse back.
Don't judge me.
28 comments:
Would have got me to curse too. So funny!
LOVE IT!!! My trainer in action.
Oh, Jackie, for me to judge you would be the ultimate hypocrisy. Both my in-laws and both my paternal aunts would attest to this, as I have f-bombed each of them (individually, so I just confessed to at least four f-bombs. There may or may not have been others).
I love that Josh tried to keep you back and how he stood up for his woman. Those guys didn't know what they were getting into with you two!
Thanks for standing up for what is right. Not sure if you realize this, but what you did as a straight ally is stand up against someone bullying a gay man, assuming your make-up guy was indeed gay.
Think of it this way: what might have happened to your make-up guy if you and Josh hadn't been there--or worse, turned and walked away in the face of someone victimizing another human being?
By standing your ground--and standing up for another--you sent a powerful message to your thugs that bullying is NOT okay, and that there are people out there who will stand against it.
THANK YOU! (and Josh!)
I love the juxtaposition of this and the Emma post. Though Joseph was known to dismiss people with "the boot". Looks like you guys would've fit right in! And my cursing is like a last warning sign at my house that all he'll is about to break loose.
It was really horrible. Neither one of us could believe what we were seeing.
And I never learned how to make my eyes look like his...
Megan- I'd love to agree with you, but I don't know what juxtaposition means..
This post reminds me of a statement I made before a post on my wall a bit earlier. I asked a friend's permission 1st before posting his pic to my wall. My friend is wearing a t-shirt that says "Fight AIDS, not people with AIDS". Just before posting this pic, was promted to add this statement "Words have power, use them well". It is difficult sometimes when we see someone being hurt by the words of others. It's great that you Jackie were oncerned ratefully my clerk and your husband's concern for you. I was the victim of some on line bullying earlier this week. Fortunately and gratefully my gay mormon brothers came to my defense and not only heped calm me down also helped greatly to rectify the situation. We too are able to laugh.
Wow this took forever to get to. Remind me not to ask you to feed our dog :)
Reminds me of a statement made before a wall post a bit earlier. It is a pic of a friend wearing a t-shirt that reads- Fight AIDS, Not People With AIDS. I added the statement- Words have power, use them well. Earlier this week I was the victem of some online bullying and my gay mormon brothers came to my rescue and backed me up. Our combined love for humanity can and should overcome those negative words and actions we may face everyday.
having trouble posting, this will probably go through because of it's lack of stucture and profound input...I am a gay mormon and Jackie and her family care a great deal about promoting love and understanding.
Jim- sometimes I'm just in the mood to swear.
I don't know Jackie. This sounds remarkably similar to another incident you've told me about. And while I applaud your bravery I feel I must remind you that idiots like that often carry weapons!!!! And you have four little boys at home. So next time just call security.
It was the same incident. I was asked to republish it.
just when I thought you couldn't get any more awesome or funny
I'm very disappointed in you. You should have put his lights out. :)
Seriously....you know your ol' dad. I'm very proud of you, and I'm particularly proud of Josh for taking up for you. Way to go, Josh.
I love it. :) Thanks for the honesty and the laughs.
Did you actually say every single, "What are you going to do b****, do something" or was it more slurred and stuff?
HeHe! Loved it Jackie. And that you were wearing capris and a cardigan.
Did you get your eyeshadow?
Erika, I said it very clearly, and no, no eye shadow.
:-(
I need to get out more; I'm missing out on all the fun!
Swearing???? ACK!!!
I'm not against confrontations (I get a high from them if truth be told) but getting down to his language?
Most saddening is that you did not point out to Mr. Thug the irony of his throwing around slurs whilst wearing eye "girl jewelry" and walking into a makeup store with only another guy by his side.
I think you'll be ready next time. Please, take a video camera.
You just made my day. Thank you. If next time I see you, I am staring at you kind of funny, I'll just be picturing you getting "up in that dude's grill" Just smile and say something gangsta for me.
Awesome! You are amazing!
HA! These kids are funny! The more they talk the less they do. Punks!
I LOVE it! You crack me up Jackie. And good for you defending eyeliner guy.
Jackie, you are awesome and I love you! :)
I hope you know, you had my whole family laughing, I had to read it to them. My sister kept saying, "she really said that?!". HOwever, I am curious, why didn't you end up getting your make-up, and what in the world did the pretty mac man do while you were badmouthing the badmouthers?
Candice- we just wanted to leave.
The make up guy just kept saying "it's OK, it's OK, it's OK!
It was very sad.
Throw DOWN, Sister Wife! You did a good thing. My favorite saying is, "We never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a mark," and you did really well that night.
Post a Comment