Thursday, August 12, 2010

Letters to a Soldier



A few weeks ago in Scouts, the lesson was about patriotism. We naturally got into a discussion about honoring our servicemen. One of my Scouts dad is in the military, and is away from his family. We all decided to write him letters to show our appreciation for his efforts.

Here is but a mere sampling of the love that poured forth from the youngsters, through their writing: (Names have been withheld to protect the identity of the mispellers)

-Brother Gary, thank you for surfing the country.

-I like the USA, I like year servis. From the Souts.

-Thank you for shooting the bad guys. Shoot them lots of times. Dude, don't die. The world is in grate hands.

-Thanks for fiting for us.-Josh Prolx (yes, my son misspelled his own last name.)

I actually held on to the letters, because I wanted to type them up, and correct the spelling and grammer. Then I realized how cute they were the way they are.



Good job, boys.

8 comments:

Holly said...

What a great idea! And yes, keep them the way they are! (but I would xerox them first so I had a copy of my own:)SOOO cute!

Janet said...

that is seriously so funny/touching. I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

Adhis said...

It is bitter irony that the jab on the poster bears a mistake itself. But what do I know? English is my second language.

Old Matt said...

Great! Gotta love those kids. :)

JaNae said...

"thank you for shooting the bad guys. Shoot them lots of times. Dude, don't die. The world is in grate hands."
I can guarantee that other than his own sons letter (that is if Kail wrote one) this would be Gary's favorite.

this is great! so funny & so nice. It breaks my heart to think of some of these soldiers who are over there who don't have the support of their family & friends. While gary is gone we're going to try and write letters and send goodies to everyone of the guys in gary's group.

Kat said...

That is an awesome idea that you did with your scouts. I love the "Dude, don't die." comment. :) What fun!

Unknown said...

That's really cute, I have been documenting my kids' cute conversations so we can have a record of them when they grow up, may be I'll quote some of those in their weddings! haha

candice said...

i love that josh misspelled his last name.